Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory: JC's In the Mouth of Madness - Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

JC's In the Mouth of Madness

#1 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Veteran
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:25 PM

Just did a re-watch of John Carpenter's "In the Mouth of Madness" after many, many years... and all I can say is HOLY SHIT!

It was a terrific first time I've seen it (around 5-6 years ago) but watching it now, I just realized this one is simple masterpiece. Terrific way of storytelling, mixing reality and dream-like stuff, music, directing, and Sam Neill was terrific as usual. :witch:

This scene is simply creepy, almost nightmarish...

You know you are a true horror fan when someone sees your DVD collection and accuse you of being a Satanist. :wub:

#2 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:29 AM

Great movie, and Sam Neill was fantastic.
You Can't Kill The Boogeyman

#3 User is offline   Lee 

• zombiecoops
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationBolton, Greater Manchester,

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

Top, top movie.
Just everything about this film is pure class.
It's been a long time since I've watched it, so, like you Jack, a re-watch is in order.
"Hey Bub! Wanna learn how to shoot? You puss brain bag of shit!"

#4 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

Lee, do it, I haven't been wrong in deciding to re-watch it again.

I'll have to check out The Ward, haven't seen that one yet, but I've heard it was good.

The only Carpenter's movie I dislike was Ghost of Mars. That was really bad, but had some moments. Vampires was at least entertaining and has terrific action scenes. Also, vampires were true monsters in that flick, not all that Twilight shit...

You know you are a true horror fan when someone sees your DVD collection and accuse you of being a Satanist. :wub:

#5 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

A re-watch is in order for me as well.

#6 User is offline   beowulf 

• Long live the Pit
  • PipPip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:06 AM

a favorite of mine ! watch it every so often just for the heck of it !

#7 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:03 PM

Ghost of Mars was ok. It wasn't great, but wasn't bad either.

#8 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:19 PM

exactly! It was descent at best, but it's lowest point in Carpenter career. I mean, he made so many terrific flicks (not just horrors)... yet he seems to be most proud of that one for some reason.

Idea of a movie is ok, but execution was just horrible. If it wasn't for Carpenter's good sense of direction, it would be a total disaster.

#9 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

Well JC is my fave director of all time, along with Alfred Hitchcock.

#10 User is offline   Atrium Pool 

• Cenobite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

Sorry, man Jack, but... this was not a good movie. The characters are very poorly written. I don't remember any of the atmosphere working for me in the slightest. The acting wasn't great. Hell, even Sam Neill might have been miscast in my eyes.

Just a boring, dull flop.

#11 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:30 AM

Characters were bit flat, but they were not really needed for that kind of a story. I thought Sam was terrific, especially at the end when he flips out. I didn't like the girl, thought she was bit annoying and your basic damsel.

I loved the atmosphere. Scene above made me creeps even now, after several watch. That's what I like about Carpenter, he doesn't need much to make scene effective.

#12 User is offline   Atrium Pool 

• Cenobite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

What it reminded me of were the weird town scenes in Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare only stretched out forever and with no payoff. Like Michele Soavi's The Church. Just, look around the corner and: ooh, something weird. BORING. The car goes around in circles, kinda like Children of the Corn- there's no way out. And the woman (who even remembers her name? she had all the charisma of a celery stick) twists herself into a pretzel like the sister in Society. Oh and they had a blood thirsty Charleton Heston as a heartless book publisher who refuses to stop printing the books even though they turn everyone into mass murderers. Again, with all the charisma of a celery stick. But wait, didn't Carpenter hire him because he was a screen presence? He had none in this film. Neither did Neill or David Warner or the woman (who I always thought was a slightly more Latina dead ringer for Kim Fields from The Facts of Life).

If I have to watch a movie about people walking around seeing weird things, can they at least be awake while they act?

#13 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:48 AM

apparently we have different taste of what's "creepy" or not. I found that bike scene creepy, but I didn't like the scene when Neill circles around in town and all of the townfolks are zombie-like creepy. It was ok, but not creepy (I don't call any horror scary, since you'll rarely find horror fan who thinks movie is scary)

and I also liked the story, especially the ending. Movie does however slows down at times and most of those scenes could either be shorter or edited, but story itself worked for me. I don't like when horror is all about gore or bodycount.

oh... The Church... Totally agree there with you. I saw it after I heard many good things about it, but I found it disappointing. Nothing happens for majority of the movie and when things start to happen, movie is over. It was well done, in sense of tech stuff like camera work, score and montage.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users