Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory: Bubba Smith - Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bubba Smith Police Academy

#1 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu BrĂ th
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:26 AM

Bubba Smith, the former NFL star who made a successful jump to acting with a series of memorable Miller Lite ads and a key role in the hilarious Police Academy movies, has died. He was 66. Authorities believe Smith succumbed to natural causes Wednesday at his Los Angeles-area home.

Ed Winter, assistant chief investigator for the L.A. County Coroner's Office, tells E! News that an investigator is en route to the former footballer's Baldwin Hills residence so the exact cause of death won't be know for a while.

Born Charles Aaron Smith, the 6-foot-7 football star plied his trade at Michigan State (where he was cheered on to the chants of "Kill, Bubba, Kill") before become a Pro Bowler in the NFL. He earned a Super Bowl ring with the Baltimore Colts in 1970, followed by stints with the Oakland Raiders and Houston Oilers. After retiring in 1976, he decided to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and began appearing in small roles in such shows as Good Times, Charlie's Angels and Taxi.

His popularity took off after popping up in a series of Miller Lite commercials with fellow former NFL greats Dick Butkus and John Madden in the early '80s. (He and Butkus would later reteam for the 1984 TV spinoff of the film Blue Thunder, which also costarred Dana Carvey.)

Smith's greatest mark on the big screen came playing Moses Hightower, the gentle giant of a cadet, who along with Steve Guttenberg, Kim Cattrall and the rest of the bumbling recruits busted baddies in 1984's classic comedy, Police Academy. The film was such a hit, he reprised the part in five more sequels and a short-lived TV series.

More recent credits include Married...With Children, Family Matters, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and last year's indie horror flick Blood River.

Rest in peace.

More News:
Bubba Smith, the former NFL star and "Police Academy" movie actor, appears to have died of natural causes, but authorities said an autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause of death. Police said there were no signs of foul play at Smith's Baldwin Hills home, where he was found dead Wednesday afternoon. He was 66. His caretaker discovered the body and called police.

The autopsy will be performed later this week, but coroner's officials did not immediately say when. It's routine for the coroner to conduct autopsies when a doctor does not sign a death certificate, which is what happened in Smith's case, authorities said.
Smith was a 6-foot-7 National Football League defensive end and tackle for the Baltimore Colts, Oakland Raiders and Houston Oilers.
He also was a star college football player at Michigan State University.

Smith played in one of the most famous college games, dubbed "The Game of the Century" by the media, against Notre Dame. The 1966 game between the top two nationally-ranked teams ended in a 10-10 tie. He later had a career in Hollywood as movie and TV actor. He also was a pitchman for Miller Lite and appeared in several memorable commercials in the 1970s.
You Can't Kill The Boogeyman

#2 User is offline   Petch Lucas 

• Manipulator
  • View blog
  • LocationHattiesburg

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:47 AM

I read about this earlier on Yahoo. I remember seeing the original Police Academy on the big screen when it first came out in 1984. He was a very likable character and stayed with the role throughout the series' run. He will be missed.
"Now don't you worry, son. Those were just lies I told to get prescription drugs."
- Bryan Cranston

#3 User is offline   Fisal316 

• I am the one and only...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • LocationWarrington. UK

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

Was shocked to hear about this! Even more when i realised David Graff isn't alive either, he was my favourite.

But it is a shame to hear that 'Hightower' is gone too.

R.I.P. Bubba 'Hightower' Smith

#4 User is offline   tina chris-hewitt 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • LocationRuggsville county TX

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

R.I.P... A great man is gone and I was very shocked to learn about his death...
''Huntin' humans? They ain't nothin' but nothin'. They all run like scared little rubbits. Run rabbit run!''
- Otis B. Driftwood

#5 User is offline   Matt 

• Hail to the king, baby
  • View blog
  • LocationScotland

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

Damn, he wasn't too old either. I wonder what happened? He had a memorable role in the Police Academy films. May he rest in peace!

#6 User is offline   Matt 

• Hail to the king, baby
  • View blog
  • LocationScotland

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:59 AM

View PostFisal316, on 14 August 2011 - 10:29 PM, said:

Was shocked to hear about this! Even more when i realised David Graff isn't alive either, he was my favourite.

But it is a shame to hear that 'Hightower' is gone too.

R.I.P. Bubba 'Hightower' Smith

Damn, I didn't realised Graff was dead. He was awesome as Tackleberry! Life is short and can be even shorter!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Yahoo