Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (PC horror game) - Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Amnesia: The Dark Descent (PC horror game)

#1 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Veteran
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

Anyone played this game?

It's giving me the chills! Not kidding. Game is ultra creepy. It's labeled as survival horror, but I would really call it psychological horror game.

You play Daniel, guy who lost his memories and wakes up in a strange castle. You have to walk around the castle, solve different puzzles and avoid enemies... and when I say AVOID I really mean AVOID enemies, or in other words: run like hell!

Thing is, you can't fight back the enemies. They can attack you, but you can't fight back. The only thing you can do is either run like hell or hide. Did I mention that enemies will chase you for the long time even after you hide? They can even break down the doors!

And most importantly: game is very dark, literally. Darkness is major element in the game and it could also be considered major enemy (actually, "The Shadow" is chasing down your character. It doesn't show up physically, but you can feel it's presence). Most of the times you will wonder around long dark corridors of the castle, and light is the only safe heaven for your character. You can lit up the candles, but they are fairly limited in game, so you'll have to save them when you really need it. Downside of this is that when you stand in lighted area enemies can see you and they will start chasing you (and I already explained why this is BIG problem!)... but the thing is, standing too long in the darkness makes your character freak out. He starts to get hallucinations, panics and becomes difficult to control, which can sometimes cost you the game if enemies are near.

but what Amnesia plays the most is the fact that it's not "jump scare" like some horror games that tend to startle you when you least expect it (khmmm... Doom 3, Jericho) but what it does is build up tension of expecting things. I mean, you'll hear screams and roars and usually nothing will happen, but this freaks you out in most cases. You expect enemy to show up (and run like hell) so you'll constantly be on look out... and sometimes things will happen, sometimes not.

Plot starts pretty simple, and it has feeling of B movie, but as soon as things start to play out, there are some interesting twists to the storyline.

If you haven't played this game, GO FUCKING DO IT! It's available on steam and several other similar sites, and it's ridiculously cheap (I think it's less then $15)
You know you are a true horror fan when someone sees your DVD collection and accuse you of being a Satanist. :wub:

#2 User is offline   s0me-kind-0f-m0nster 

• Monsterman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

I've heard this game in amazingly intense
People spend one day a year pretending to be monsters...
Me?
I've spent my entire life pretending I'm not one....

#3 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

View Posts0me-kind-0f-m0nster, on 03 May 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

I've heard this game in amazingly intense

Yep, it's TENSE more then it's scary.

I mean, you are totally helpless. You can't fight back, you can just run and hide. and most of the time, there are no enemies, but game plays on building up tension. Everything is covered with darkness, so you never known when you are light up the area with lantern and enemy will stand in front of you. Then all you can do is run like hell for safe place.

and what I really like is how your character interacts with objects. Eg: if you need to open\close door, you MUST imitate the whole action of opening\closing doors (push or pull with your mouse) and not just "press the button". This makes you feel hopeless, because it can be hard to pull of when monster is after you. You must run from him, but in that second you tend to push door when you should pull door to open.

and your character tends to panic when something stressful happens (like seeing a monster) or if he's in the dark for too long, and when he starts to panic it's hard to control him and your vision becomes blurry.
You know you are a true horror fan when someone sees your DVD collection and accuse you of being a Satanist. :wub:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users