Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory: The Rain (2009) - Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Rain (2009) aka Dark Fields

#1 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Veteran
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:39 AM

I just finished watching this movie with David Carradine and Dee Wallace.

It's a horror flick about Indian curse unleashed on small town. It's really anthology flick, but all three stories are related, dealing with curse, only set in three different time period. Curse hits the small town after some farmer dig up the old shaman's hat (top hat) and folks start turning into sand (more or less). Naturally, they summon up a shaman who offers them "healing" rain, but the cost is that each generation must sacrifice three of it's children.

First one is set in 1886 (I think), starring David Carradine. Really nice production. I was quite impressed with photography on this one. Acting is fairly descent here, some good FX. I would say they spend most of their money here, since this story looks best in the whole movie. This mostly deals with start of the curse and how townfolks deal with it (choosing children for sacrifice)

Second story set in 1956 was bit letdown. It looks very cheap, and nowhere near as good as first one.... but it's probably darkest of them all. Dunno, maybe they purposely made it look cheap so they will get that dirty and gritty look. It looks more like one of those documentary style movies. This one is about father, who now became a monster because of the curse (he looks like mummy) starts hunting down his own daughters and killing them for the rainfall.

Third story is set in present day, and it's about girl returning back to her home town, only to find that her parents killed two of her brothers and are waiting for her to kill the third. As you might guess, she doesn't do it and escapes with her brother. Now towns people send some supernatural bald guy to hunt them down and kill the son. (This is also the longest story in the movie and main story, rest could be considered flashback sequences from the past)

However, all three stories are not lineal and few scenes from one story show up here and there. They are not typical anthology "episodes" and after one is over another starts. They are more like flashback sequences, only they last several minutes instead of few seconds that FBS usually are in movies.

Story itself is very dark and has lot of Lovecraft (or more precise Cthulhu ) vibe to it. (because obviously outside supernatural forces rule the lives of towns people, who can't escape their fate). I liked the writing, but I didn't like slow start (and it's VERY SLOW flick). Pace really hurts the movie and some scenes look like they will last forever. It's nearly 2h long, yet not many things are explained and ending seems rushed (although it's not a happy end). I think this one would work lot better if it was mini series like S. King's "Story of the Century"

Score is REALLY GOOD and creepy, it works like charm for this one. My biggest problem (aside from others mentioned) is lead actress in present day. She delivers her line pretty much like Megan Fox. Dunno if she was directed to act this way, but she is completely lifeless when she delivers her line, but she's pretty good when she does body language (and there's one scene where she's really creepy, which was rather surprising)

anyway, it's worth checking out if you like slow paced creepy flicks. It's not a movie without flaws (it has lot of them actually) but I think it's worth checking for refreshing take on familiar story, nice production and creepy vibe (whole movie is dark blue or gray). Rent it or get it from internet. i wouldn't recommend spending money on this for DVD. (you will probably like this if you liked DEAD BIRDS, because they are both similar in pace and style). It's definitively not a movie for everyone, but specific genre fans.

Original title is THE RAIN which fits the movie perfectly, but distributers renamed it to generic title Dark Fields (which has nothing to do with movie. There's a 20 second scene involving field and the whole goddamn movie is about curse and rain)
You know you are a true horror fan when someone sees your DVD collection and accuse you of being a Satanist. :wub:

#2 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu BrĂ th
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Haven't seen this either, I did like Dead Birds.
You Can't Kill The Boogeyman

#3 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Veteran
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

You might like this one then. Wasn't very good tho (mostly because pace hurts it alot, and lead actress wasn't very good), but it's worth checking out because it looks really good for it's budget (which was rather small, even for low budget movie).

I am definitively gonna watch out for guys who worked on photography and art direction on this one, I think they will be big names in future. :pimp: It seems that this sales good on DVD, since sequel was announced "The Rain Chronicles".

oh and speaking of lead actress... I have no clue what's up with that girl. She does body language rather well but she delivers every single line the same, no matter what state of mind she is. She sees her dad killing her brother and she says "stop it" in calmest voice you can think of. It's like she learned all of her lines and just says them when she needs... but again, there was one scene where this does work and she's kinda creepy.
You know you are a true horror fan when someone sees your DVD collection and accuse you of being a Satanist. :wub:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users