Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory: 'Til Death Do Us Part trailer - Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

'Til Death Do Us Part trailer

#1 User is offline   Barry Ace 

• Pit Pig
  • Pip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

#2 User is offline   dpcraig 

• Cenobite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

I love your creativity, Barry. My main suggestion is to study lighting and find out the ways that even the cheapest pan lighting you can get from Wal-Mart, along with using white umbrellas for diffusing light, they will upgrade your productions. I see that youtube and/or other sites compress and darken your footage, and that's what proper, three-point lighting will help you with greatly. Keep on keeping on. None of us know it all, and we are all constantly learning.

#3 User is offline   Barry Ace 

• Pit Pig
  • Pip
  • View blog

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

View Postdpcraig, on 21 March 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

I love your creativity, Barry. My main suggestion is to study lighting and find out the ways that even the cheapest pan lighting you can get from Wal-Mart, along with using white umbrellas for diffusing light, they will upgrade your productions. I see that youtube and/or other sites compress and darken your footage, and that's what proper, three-point lighting will help you with greatly. Keep on keeping on. None of us know it all, and we are all constantly learning.

I agree with you, I actually got a new HD camera which can show outside at night as well as the human eye, but I can still light it up. the movie was shot with two different cameras: the one I just mentioned and an older one. I'm sure you probably noticed the difference.

#4 User is offline   dpcraig 

• Cenobite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

Yeah, I could tell.

It does suck, too, that with everyone now watching stuff uploaded to youtube, vimeo and/or watching everything on an LCD screen - you basically have no choice but to film something HD or as close to it as possible. Otherwise the compression of your film file when uploaded, or when you save to dvd and someone watches on computer/lcd screen, the footage always darkens so much or looks pixelated. My first real eye-opening experience was watching BTS on how Boyle filmed 28 Days Later...then seeing that all the dark, gritty, grime look was done in post. That's the rule, too - you can always darken in post...but you can never lighten in post. Just kill any harsh or too close overhead lighting and go with three point lighting from stands. Only use overhead lighting if your side lighting can balance it all and/or match it. You'll know. There won't be any really harsh glares on skin or reflective objects so much. Don't filter your camera lens either unless you are fighting lens flares or iris problems or you seriously know how the footage will look in post because you've done test footage at exact light levels. You'll dislike the outcome or at the least, you'll limit all of your filtering options in post. Post/editing is where much of the magic happens, so give yourself every chance to have that fun.

#5 User is offline   Barry Ace 

• Pit Pig
  • Pip
  • View blog

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:16 PM

This is something we filmed for it but cut out, keep in mind we used no lighting at all except for the street lights and lamp posts that were already there. Although I'm not saying I won't use lighting for future projects.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users