Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory: Custom DVD cover art - Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Custom DVD cover art

#1 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Veteran
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Something I start doing out... This one isn't finished tho...

Posted Image

I still need to find HQ logos and right fonts, so any help would be nice. I've noticed few things I could fix at the time I uploaded this, so it would be fixed soon.

Let me hear what you think.

Ps. I haven't used Photoshop in nearly 4 years, so I forgot about most of the tricks... hopefully I will recall them all once I start playing with it again... oh and I still need to find CorelDraw for drawing those logos (unless I find High Quality of them on the net)
You know you are a true horror fan when someone sees your DVD collection and accuse you of being a Satanist. :wub:

#2 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

Jack, it looks bloody great mate :clap:
You Can't Kill The Boogeyman

#3 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

Thanks Craig. I will be updating this one soon, since I found right fonts for text on back cover. I still need to find HQ logos, but I am thinking of doing them in CorelDraw.

I am currently making Pumpkinhead cover, but I am still finishing front cover. This one will be cute, since I used original theatrical poster for Pumpkinhead (Pumpkinhead's hands holding pumpkin)..
You know you are a true horror fan when someone sees your DVD collection and accuse you of being a Satanist. :wub:

#4 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

When you get them done, you should post them up for us to see.

#5 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

No prob mate. Pumpkinhead will be finished in hour or two. I got some problem with Photoshop, it keeps crashing down, which can be annoying if I don't save every minute (literally).

#6 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

as promised...

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Lee 

• zombiecoops
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationBolton, Greater Manchester,

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

Very, very good Jack.

Do me a favour mate, if you get time, see if you can make me an extra special Dawn of the Dead one, based around the original if possible. Just a little side project for you, only if you've got time that is!!
"Hey Bub! Wanna learn how to shoot? You puss brain bag of shit!"

#8 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

Hey Lee, thanks. I am currently finishing HELLRASIER DVD, but I will do DotD after that one. I was planing to do it anyway. :pimp: btw, I wanted to do cover for Shaun of the Dead and Dawn of the Dead remake both based on original Dawn artwork.

DotD remake cover art sucked. Shaun of the Dead was descent, but I want to do it just for kicks. :lol2:

#9 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

Awesome, keep them coming, Jack.

#10 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

Here's Hellraiser. I did it all in red, to fit the theme of the movie "flesh and blood" :badgrin:

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

Hey Lee, I am currently finishing Dawn of the Dead front cover, just for you. :lol2:

I am doing it in retro poster style, hope you don't mind. It's a popular movie, so finding right material for it wasn't big problem (like it was with Pumpkinhead)

#12 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:17 PM

Damn, Jack. Bloody awesome stuff mate.

#13 User is offline   Atrium Pool 

• Cenobite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

These really are just INCREDIBLE. Although, I think I'd like Hellraiser to be blue rather than red. Just sayin'.

Oh, and (you know how picky I am, so, don't look so shocked) I also have never liked those 18 circles. And the solid DVD emblems with the VIDEO inside the circle. I like Anchor Bay's U.S. DVD logo more. Almost no other studio does this, just AB. Examples:

Posted Image Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

Thanks Atrium and Craig. I agree there, I also hate that red circle logo. Not to mention that all circles look awkward in photoshop. PS does terrific stuff with photo manipulation, but sucks when it comes to vectors. So I took that square R and just added "rated" under, and it looked great.

as for DVD logo, yeah, I like the one without "video" more too, but that one with "video" was the only one I could find in HQ. However, this is not a big deal, I can easily replace it in Photoshop on any cover once I find right logo in high quality.

for the Hellraiser I used red. Blue looked weird when applied to the graphic pattern I made. I was very dark and you couldn't see Pinhead clearly, so I just left it red... but I still have to make covers for part Hellbound and Hell on Earth, so I can experiment. :pimp:

oh and for Lee...

Posted Image

I tried to made in retro style... Only I don't have Dawn of the Dead DVD (no clue where it is, someone took it and never returned it) so I couldn't add special features on it. If you can list me special features, it would be lot of help.

oh and don't worry about that "2DVD special release" it's easily replaceable. :badgrin:

#15 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:37 AM

oh yeah, some bonus 3D presentation.

Posted Image

ps. I raised cover-spine a bit higher then it should be... Oh well...

#16 User is offline   Damien 

• Pit Master
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

Awesome work Jack!!!
:clap:

#17 User is offline   Lee 

• zombiecoops
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationBolton, Greater Manchester,

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

Oh my God Jack, that is (please excuse language) fucking awesome!!!!

I want that cover on one of my versions NOW!!!!

I can get you a list of special features if you like, which version would you like them off? I think of the top of my head I have like 6 or 7 different versions of Dawn (Yes! I'm that sad!) Just let me know mate and I'll list them for you.

Yes, I also agree that the Dawn remake cover work was shite!

Keep up the excellent work!
"Hey Bub! Wanna learn how to shoot? You puss brain bag of shit!"

#18 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

thanks guys.

as I said, Dawn is very popular movie, so it wasn't hard to get all the stuff I needed. I was just idea that I needed. I knew I was gonna do it in retro style right from the start, but sticky paper and newspaper just keep rolling as I worked on it. It just felt like it should be there. as you can see, it turned out fine.

Lee, if you want to print it, you could chose one of those DVD and give me some info about it. I'll need info about special features (from the DVD release you want), and some general info about that DVD release would be nice (like who released it, sound system, region... pretty much everything that's on the back cover here in bottom right corner)

ps. This is my personal fave so far. I am huge sucker of that retro style, and I think I am gonna do few more covers in that manner. Phantasm 1-4 would be perfect for it.

#19 User is offline   Atrium Pool 

• Cenobite
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

That color scheme/combination makes it look like an office movie. Which is why it's always been better suited to Cronenberg's They Came from Within / Shivers.

#20 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:25 PM

Office movie? :lol2:

anyway, I made one for Phantasm, but I still want to add few things on back cover. Once I finished it, I'll make nice 3D presentations of all covers (along with fixed preview covers)... I would also add prints on DVDs (discs)

oh btw, I thought of adding Guts&Gory watermark to all covers, just for protection. I would hate to see someone outside the Pit take credit for my work.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users