Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory: They Might Be Giants concert in New Orleans! - Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

They Might Be Giants concert in New Orleans! Tipitina's, 4 Feb 2012

#1 User is offline   Petch Lucas 

• Manipulator
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationHattiesburg

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:54 AM

Last night I attended They Might Be Giants' fantastic concert at Tipitina's in New Orleans. The Brooklyn-based alternative duo of John Linnell (vocals, keyboards, accordion, woodwinds) and John Flansburgh (vocals, guitar) were joined by perennial backing musicians Dan Miller (lead guitar), Danny Weinkauf (bass) and Marty Beller (drums) for tightly-performed and entertaining performance.

Some of the novelty tunes included Linnell and Flansburgh performing vocals backstage with sock puppets (dubbed the "Avatars Of They") projected via camera onto an onstage screen, as well as the hilarious audience-participation number "Battle For The Planet Of The Apes." Concert staples such as "Birdhouse In Your Soul," "Particle Man" and "Ana Ng" shared bill with selected tracks off their current album JOIN US, which was most represented by the setlist:

1. Subliminal
2. Can't Keep Johnny Down
3. Celebration
4. Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
5. Snowball In Hell *
6. James K. Polk
7. Judy Is Your VietNam
8. Battle For The Planet Of The Apes
9. Old Pine Box
10. Marty Beller Mask
11. Careful What You Pack
12. Medley: Crazy Train/Pandor Jingle/Paranoid *
13. Spoiler Alert/Crazy Train (reprise) *
14. Cloisonne
15. The Guitar (The Lion Sleeps Tonight)
16. Birdhouse In Your Soul
17. Damn Good Times
18. Ana Ng
19. We Live In A Dump
20. Fingertips
21. (Band Intros)
22. When Will You Die

* = featuring the "Avatars Of They"

ENCORE #1:
23. How Can I Sing Like A Girl
24. Particle Man
25. Doctor Worm

ENCORE #2
26. Alphabet Of Nations
27. Clap Your Hands

Having first seen They Might Be Giants in concert twenty years ago, at Tipitina's no less, I felt an unexpected pang of nostalgia for my undergraduate days, especially whenever a song from that 1992 gig was played again last night. Although I'm not in the shape I was back then--and thankfully none of the staff gave me a hard time about bringing my folding chair, given my bad back--I had a splendid time. Can't wait to see them again.
"Now don't you worry, son. Those were just lies I told to get prescription drugs."
- Bryan Cranston

#2 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu BrĂ th
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

Glad you had a great time mate.
You Can't Kill The Boogeyman

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic