Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory: The Worst Horror Remake - Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Worst Horror Remake What's Your Pick?

#1 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu BrĂ th
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

I would have to say The Fog.
You Can't Kill The Boogeyman

#2 Guest_rob_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

Nightmare

#3 User is offline   Atrium Pool 

• Cenobite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

Just 1? Can't do that- Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dawn of the Dead, Hills Have Eyes, Black Christmas, The Fog, Piranha, Last House on the Left, Halloween, and Nightmare on Elm Street.

If it's not broke, don't try and fix it.

#4 Guest_rob_*

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

Who said they were trying to fix it?

#5 User is offline   Atrium Pool 

• Cenobite
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

A very large portion of the people who watch them. And definitely Michael Bay / Platinum Dunes.

#6 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Veteran
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

Halloween. I can never forgive myself for watching it. I could never forgive myself that I thought Halloween 2 would be better. :rambo:
You know you are a true horror fan when someone sees your DVD collection and accuse you of being a Satanist. :wub:

#7 Guest_rob_*

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

View PostAtrium Pool, on 24 January 2012 - 11:54 PM, said:

A very large portion of the people who watch them. And definitely Michael Bay / Platinum Dunes.

Michael Bay/Platinum Dunes never said they were trying to improve on the originals. And what do the people who watch them have to do with it? :lol2:

#8 User is offline   Atrium Pool 

• Cenobite
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:18 AM

Demand = supply.

And Michael Bay is a dickhead, so I'd blame anything on him. Name something.

But I think you know what I meant. If it's a great movie, don't remake it. And all the remakes I named off were only style updates. No actual point to any of them. Soulless cash-ins.

#9 Guest_rob_*

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:20 AM

...But they did remake it, and they'll do it again. And obviously they don't have to put much effort in, look at those numbers.

#10 User is offline   Atrium Pool 

• Cenobite
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:28 AM

Rob, I don't know if you're trying to help or not but you know what I meant. If someone / anyone chooses to remake a great movie, I will put the remake on my Worst Remakes list. Which of course makes the fact that I happened to find the original Cat People and The Fly okay / not very good movies convenient.

#11 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:06 AM

Cat People and The Fly are great, but they suffer from the same thing most black and white movies suffer:

they look like they are theater show, no matter what. Just check when the actors are in front of camera, everything is so loud and so theatrical. You know, in '50, when monster was gonna kill someone, it always started to strangle person, no matter if it has hands, claws or tentacles... and the victim always rises it's hand toward his face, screaming. :rofl:
You know you are a true horror fan when someone sees your DVD collection and accuse you of being a Satanist. :wub:

#12 User is offline   Atrium Pool 

• Cenobite
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:18 AM

I liked most of The Fly but Cat People was a raging bore. All they did was smoke and sit around talking. In hats. Lots of smoking, trenchcoats, and hats.

#13 User is offline   Boogeyman 

• The Party Animal
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:20 AM

Tie between Nightmare and The Fog. Absolute steaming piles of shit!
"It's all true, the Boogeyman is real and you found him!" Otis Driftwood

#14 User is offline   Boogeyman 

• The Party Animal
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:23 AM

Atrium Pool if you think that Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dawn of the Dead, Hills Have Eyes, Last House on the Left, and Halloween remakes were shitty then I think you are crazy. Especially the Hills Have Eyes remake which was fucking awesome!
"It's all true, the Boogeyman is real and you found him!" Otis Driftwood

#15 User is offline   Atrium Pool 

• Cenobite
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

Thank you. Besides, they were action thrillers anyway. I'm a horror fan.

#16 User is offline   tina chris-hewitt 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationRuggsville county TX

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

I'd say Friday 13th remake was crap as well as nightmare.

Now, there are loooots of remakes that were actually very very good, and some of them are TCM, The Hills Have Eyes (of course!), Halloween and The Last House on the Left. You can't condemn a film just because it's a remake... Give it a chance and, after all, watch it as you would watch another horror movie, without thinking that it will spoil the original... If you say "It will be a total failure" from the very beginning, you won't like it even if it's actually good.

View PostBoogeyman, on 25 January 2012 - 08:23 AM, said:

Atrium Pool if you think that Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dawn of the Dead, Hills Have Eyes, Last House on the Left, and Halloween remakes were shitty then I think you are crazy. Especially the Hills Have Eyes remake which was fucking awesome!

Enough said!! B)
''Huntin' humans? They ain't nothin' but nothin'. They all run like scared little rubbits. Run rabbit run!''
- Otis B. Driftwood

#17 User is offline   Atrium Pool 

• Cenobite
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

View Posttina chris-hewitt, on 25 January 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

Now, there are loooots of remakes that were actually very very good, and some of them are TCM, The Hills Have Eyes (of course!), Halloween and The Last House on the Left.

I disagree.

You can't condemn a film just because it's a remake...

I didn't. As you can see in my last reply, I also condemn them for being action thrillers instead of deeply interesting, poignant, or stylistic horror films. With horror elements like atmosphere, creepy music scores, etc. Or an actual point. None of the remakes I've named off had any of these things.

Give it a chance and, after all, watch it as you would watch another horror movie

But they are not any other horror movie. They are remakes and if a filmmaker remake a great, genre-defining movie, they are clueless.

without thinking that it will spoil the original...

Well, talk to most people who are watching these remakes. You will find that a great amount of people believe the remakes are made to replace the originals. You'll even hear kids say the reason a movie is remade is because it wasn't good to begin with. That attitude is becoming or has become the one that dictates what the genre is: old films bad, new films good. Therefore, the remakes have in fact done damage to the genre. And they're not even horror films anyway. They're survivalist drama action thrillers. Whereas ALL the originals had something else going on.

If you say "It will be a total failure" from the very beginning, you won't like it even if it's actually good.

I think you'll find I actually was saying that long before remakes came along. And I corrected myself when I was wrong. For example, I said: Jeepers Creepers, 28 Days Later, Cabin Fever, American Psycho, and Final Destination would suck before I saw them. Only one of those films I walked away from saying it met my low expectations. The others surprised me or blew me out of the water.

Oh, and I thought Blair Witch Project might be good which it wasn't. So... you see? My expectations don't actually govern how I receive movies.

That much.

#18 User is offline   tina chris-hewitt 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationRuggsville county TX

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

Firstly, from what I just read, I see that you reply in everything I said as if I was refering personally to you. When I say ''you'' I mean generally speaking.

Secondly, I've talked to many horror fans about remakes and a considerale amount of them have said that some of them are actually very successful. Especially, TCM and THHE remakes. Even if they are survivalist drama action thrillers, it still works for me.

Lastly, I know you hate every remake that comes out and I know that we can not always agree on things. I'll always say that some of these remakes are very good. But it's your opinion and I respect that. But let me say I disagree on some points... Anyway, that's what a conversation is all about after all.
''Huntin' humans? They ain't nothin' but nothin'. They all run like scared little rubbits. Run rabbit run!''
- Otis B. Driftwood

#19 User is offline   Atrium Pool 

• Cenobite
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

View Posttina chris-hewitt, on 25 January 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

Even if they are survivalist drama action thrillers, it still works for me.

I completely respect that.

I'm just saying I hate that this is what the genre became. I mean, to me- 28 Days Later and Open Water were very successful survival horror films. I liked them and they were pretty darn good. I got my fill and it was time for the genre to move on. Then, Hostel came out and for me, that took care of all the torture themes that fueled a bunch of similar movies. So, yeah we got rip-offs and I was accepting for awhile. Because I thought something else would come along. But... it never stopped. It still hasn't. There is still no variety. Like politics. In fact, what we have now is the overkill of the Exorcism of Emily Rose crap. That was like 7 years ago and it's still not over. I am sick of the same thing. And the genre used to change and give us different kinds of movies. Not anymore. The last 9 or so years have been exactly the same things. Every single time. Ghost or Satanic films get the boring Hollywood treatment and all the killer / torture and zombie / disease films get the dirty people running through the woods action movie treatment.

The genre used to thrive on variety. Now, it seems to thrive on conformity. Remakes and survival thrillers facilitated that. We have them to blame. And, so I do blame them.

#20 Guest_rob_*

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

Hahaha oh Tina...

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users