Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory: Anime - Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime Any Fans?

#1 User is offline   Cherry 

• I married a Scotsman
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:02 AM

I’m a big fan of anime. Some of my favorites include InuYasha, Full Metal Alchemist, Claymore, Sekirei, and Sengoku Basara. I just recently bought the full Devil Lady series. Not sure if it’s any good yet. If anybody is interested, I’ll let you know. :)
"Killer clowns, from outer space. Holy shit!"

#2 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:17 AM

Nope, I am not a fan... but you already knew that ;)
You Can't Kill The Boogeyman

#3 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

Watch Hellsing OVA (it's insane), Devil May Cry, Akira (just awesome), WIcked City (horror anime), Urotsukidoji (this is labeled as Hentai, but I've seen it and it's terrific. There's not lot of hentai, maybe 10-15 min of it, rest is just pure anime!), Ninja Scroll (Movie is terrific, TV show was lame) , Ghost in the Shell, Vampire Hunter D (and second: Bloodlust) ...

Those are few I can think of right now, all are terrific. Vampire Hunter D BLoodlust still looks impressive, even if it's nearly 10+ years old.

note: anime never have official trailers, all are fanmade.
You know you are a true horror fan when someone sees your DVD collection and accuse you of being a Satanist. :wub:

#4 User is offline   Cherry 

• I married a Scotsman
  • PipPip
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:56 PM

I've actually seen Ninja Scroll, I totally agree, it's a great movie. :)

Some of my other favorite anime films are Lady Death, Dante's Inferno, Read or Die, and Howl's Moving Castle.

#5 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:20 PM

View PostCherry, on 23 January 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

Some of my other favorite anime films are Lady Death, Dante's Inferno, Read or Die, and Howl's Moving Castle.

I promise I will try and watch them with you, and give them a go :)
You Can't Kill The Boogeyman

#6 User is offline   Cherry 

• I married a Scotsman
  • PipPip
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:18 AM

View PostCraig, on 23 January 2012 - 10:20 PM, said:

I promise I will try and watch them with you, and give them a go :)

I'm going to hold you to that promise!!! :proud:

#7 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:50 AM

View PostCherry, on 23 January 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

Lady Death isn't anime. This is American done by American studio. Same with Dante's Inferno, but Japanese guys work on it, so it has strong resemblance to anime. Batman Gotham Knight was similar, but only this WAS anime, but funded by American studio.

oh for some other cool anime: Samurai X, Lone Wolf, and Death Note. Death Note series was amazing and one of the most original anime. There are three movies, but they are basically made out of scenes from series, just shortened for most important scenes and spliced together. Some scenes had little changes tho.

There are also LIve Action Death Note movies, so if you don't like anime you can check those out. They are mostly same as anime series, only some scenes are changed to fit the movie. Less characters, some characters had scenes what other characters did and so on... but the main storyline is almost exact. Anime was better but if you hate anime, check them out, since story is terrific.
You know you are a true horror fan when someone sees your DVD collection and accuse you of being a Satanist. :wub:

#8 User is offline   Cherry 

• I married a Scotsman
  • PipPip
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:03 AM

Oh okay, I didn't realize there was a difference. But it makes sense, not all animated movies are going to be true anime I guess.

I'll definitely check out the other ones that you mentioned. :)

#9 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

There are few episodes of Death Note uploaded on youtube, check it out (there's also english dubbed version). If you like it, dig up the rest either online or DVD. I suggest you start with that. It's not very long (30+ episodes I think) and it's addictive as hell. The way two main characters try to outsmart each other is very unique and I bet you can't even imagine how they try to manage that.

also, it's very unique in setting, since main character of the anime turns from good, honest and righteous to evil (and nearly psychotic at some point) at the end of the series. You know, you should root for him, since he's main character, but you almost end up hating him.

#10 User is offline   Cherry 

• I married a Scotsman
  • PipPip
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

View PostJack Frost, on 24 January 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

There are few episodes of Death Note uploaded on youtube, check it out (there's also english dubbed version). If you like it, dig up the rest either online or DVD. I suggest you start with that. It's not very long (30+ episodes I think) and it's addictive as hell.

I actually just found the entire series (37 episodes) on Netflix to watch instantly! I'll definitely check it out when I get a chance. It sounds really good.

Vampire Hunter D: BLoodlust looks awesome too.

#11 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

Both are awesome! I am sure you'll get hooked on Death Note.

ps. Vampire Hunter D (first one) is also great, but it was made in '80 so graphics are not that great... but I don't think this would be much of a problem, since you probably seen cartoons of the '80 (Voltron, Robotek and so on)

btw, VHD is Korean anime, not Japanese. Yes, they are both anime, but have different visual style.

PS:

#12 User is offline   s0me-kind-0f-m0nster 

• Monsterman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

Love me some anime

Hellsing, Berserk, Elfen Lied, Serial Experiment Lain, neon genesis Evangelion, Ninja Scroll, Full Metal ALchemist, Full Metal Panic

I could go on but I won't

Berserk is one of the bets series I have ever seen, amazing.....until the last 2 episodes, there was suppose to be a second season but it never happened and the story was continued on in magna's instead
People spend one day a year pretending to be monsters...
Me?
I've spent my entire life pretending I'm not one....

#13 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

Berserk is terrific, but it's not typical anime. It's perfect for people who are not into anime, but don't know where to start.

yeah, ending kinda sucks, but it's not show problem. There were suppose to be more seasons, but they never made it. Story was however continued in manga (comics) ... And as for Berserk manga itself, it's lot darker then the show and contains more details... for instance, that weird king rapes his daughter (princess) after Griffitt force her to have sex, but yeah, they couldn't show that in mainstream anime.

battle scenes are also lot more gory then in show...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users