Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory: Sucker Punch & Conan - Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sucker Punch & Conan

#1 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Veteran
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

Seen this one two days ago... Dunno, I kinda like it. It's not very good, but there were some parts of a movie that I like (like visuals, but some CGI was horrible, while other was perfect) ... It definitively had it's moments, but weak story make it easily forgettable (while the idea of the story was great, it was poorly executed).

It's what I call "perfect summer movie" - you watch it, you enjoy it (more or less) but you forget about it in the few hours.

as for Conan ... More ore less, same thoughts as with Sucker Punch. It was ok, good action scene, but overall weak story (it was ok, not boring, but it was nothing spectacular or "epic") and Rachel Nicholson (ghhh, she might be pretty, but she's horrible actress. She's still better then Megan Fox tho). Visuals were great and it was had nice amount of blood (I thought it would be PG-13?)
Oh and I think that Rose McGowan's character had some potentials to be interesting character, but for some reason they haven't developed her character (and Conan for that matter). It just seems "stuck" at one moment and continues to be stereotypical villain till the very end of the movie. As a matter of fact, all character seems to be "stuck" after first few scenes they show up.

Overall, I think movie itself was much closer to comics then one from '80.
You know you are a true horror fan when someone sees your DVD collection and accuse you of being a Satanist. :wub:

#2 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

I thought they both sucked.
You Can't Kill The Boogeyman

#3 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

well as I said, they aren't gonna be something you would remember in a month after you see them, but they weren't that bad as people make it up to be. Conan is pretty much bashed by Arnie fanboys.

I don't say it was great movie, but it wasn't THAT bad. At least it was entertaining for most parts. Conan personality was much better in this movie and closer to comics. He was kinda ruthless and mostly cared about himself. As far as I remember, Conan was always about himself first in comics.

as for Sucker Punch, again, great visuals, some interesting editing, but story was weak. I personally think that idea WAS GOOD, but it was badly executed. Many subplots were all over the place which hurts main plot alot. Instead, they should cut subplots in half, leave just one or two and make main storyline stronger. But again, it's Zack Snyder... he is all about visuals... and freakin' SLOW MOTION! Ughhh! :leather:
You know you are a true horror fan when someone sees your DVD collection and accuse you of being a Satanist. :wub:

#4 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:20 PM

I'm not really a big fan of the original Conan, but I thought the remake really sucked big time.

#5 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:18 AM

am not big fan of the original too. It's ok, but nothing spectacular.

#6 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

View PostJack Frost, on 12 January 2012 - 03:18 AM, said:

am not big fan of the original too. It's ok, but nothing spectacular.

Agreed.

#7 User is offline   machete_mike 

• I Pity The Fool
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

I loved the original Conan films. Will watch the remake shortly. I heard that Sucker Punch was just plain awful.
Long Live Team Dufus!!

#8 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

Sucker Punch was terrible imo.

#9 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

View Postmachete_mike, on 13 January 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

I heard that Sucker Punch was just plain awful.

Well, there was little to no story involved. Mostly there are just action scenes with great CGI. It gets boring after a while, since it's mostly action with few words spoken in between. But I admit, I liked some of the visuals (like that alternate WW2 universe). Editing\montage at the beginning of the movie was also great in my opinion.

as I said earlier in this topic, IDEA was good, but it was badly executed. It seems like they rushed the script into production hoping visuals will impress audiences so much that they will forget about the story. This bothers me most with ending, which had great message, but writers did sloppy job of explaining it. All dialogues seems pretty basic, like when you had idea and you write it down (basic guildlines) but you leave it that way and don't expend\fix your first draft script.

SPOILERS:

Whole point of ending was that main girl killed her sister, and she allowed the doctor to preform lobotomy on her, so she wouldn't remember anything. That way, she would not be in pain and guilt for killing her sister.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users