Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory: World Horror Convention 2011 - Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Horror Convention 2011

#1 User is offline   Crafter 

• Pit Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Veteran

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:13 PM

I was wondering if there were any horror writers and artists amongst The Pit? If so I was wondering if any of you heard about the upcoming event World Horror Convention 2011? It begins April 28th through May 1st. I'll be attending only for one day. That would be on a Saturday. They're having something called Pitch Your Heart out. What that is, is aspiring writers and artists will be able to sit across from the editors and one literary agent and pitch their work to them. This is my first ever horror convention I'll be attending and there will be some heavy hitters there. Jack Ketchum, whose work includes The Girl Next Door, Off Season, Off Spring, Cover and Red. Another writer who would be attending is Brian Keene, his work includes The Rising, City of the Dead, Dead Sea, The Conquerer Worms, Ghoul, Dark Hollow, Ghost Walk, Castaways, Urban Gothic, Darkness on the Edge of Town and A Gathering of Crows. The event is going to be big and it has everything a horror fan could dream of. There will be plenty of entertainment going on. There will be writing seminars taking place. I just wanted to know if anyone heard of this event and is going?

#2 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

Crafter, I moved this into the Convention fourm. I just thought it would be betetr in here, hope thats ok with you?
You Can't Kill The Boogeyman

#3 User is offline   Crafter 

• Pit Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:28 PM

Yeah, that's fine. I don't mind.

#4 User is offline   Jack Frost 

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationPirate Land

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:34 PM

Crafter, that sounds cool. You could take few notes there and share with us, who are not fortunate to visit this event. :pimp:
You know you are a true horror fan when someone sees your DVD collection and accuse you of being a Satanist. :wub:

#5 User is offline   Crafter 

• Pit Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

I intend to. This is one of the biggest events to happen. This convention goes all over the world. Last year it was in Canada. This convention is dedicated to all things horror. There will be a lot of entertainment. I hope to get some photos there and post them here and on my Facebook page.

#6 User is offline   Crafter 

• Pit Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

Only two more days...I'm nervous as hell. I'll be pitching my hardcore horror novel to the editors and one agent. One editor I'm sitting down with is from Deadite Press. I think it will fit in nicely with their titles. If you want to read extreme bizarro horror fiction check out Apeshit and Slaughter House High, both of them are nice little tributes to the slasher genre. Apeshit is the tale we all know and love, a group of sex driven teenagers go to camp out in the middle of the woods with something there waiting for them. Slaughter House High is another slasher tale that's a throwback to Prom Night. Each novel has twists that will be surprising and just plain odd to see.

I'll be posting pics after they're sent to me. For the past couple of days it's been hectic. I've been rehearsing what I'm going to say to the editors and agents. Today is the official start of the World Horror Convention.

#7 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:15 PM

Godd luck mate, you'll be fine. Keep us updated on how it went.
You Can't Kill The Boogeyman

#8 User is offline   Crafter 

• Pit Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:25 PM

I will. I've been doing a lot of revisions on the pitching and the query letter. Thanks for the encouragement. I need it.

#9 User is offline   Crafter 

• Pit Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

I managed to survive my first convention. WHC 2011 was a blast. It was mostly a literary event, not like Frightmare. There were some big names in the horror genre of novels and comics. Steve Niles was there. Jack Ketchum author of Off Season and Offspring, he also wrote the novel The Girl Next Door and Red. Offspring, The Girl Next Door and Red have been made into films. I've gotten a few autographs from two authors who are considered my favorite writers Brian Keene and Wrath James White. If you haven't already, check out Brian's work, he wrote an awesome zombie trilogy The Rising, City of the Dead and Dead Sea. The Rising and City of the Dead are interesting reads and a different take on the zombie genre. If you liked The Return of the Living Dead, you'll love The Rising and City of the Dead. Dead Sea is different than the other two. Two of Brian's novels are going to be made into film, Dark Hollow and Ghoul. He even wrote a novel that is like The People Under the Stairs meets The Hills Have Eyes, the novel is called Urban Gothic and it is extreme. The violence is strong, there is a lot of gore. There's not enough words to describe the depravity in the novel. Wrath's work is beyond hardcore and intense Succulent Prey is one of those novels where you have to take a shower after you've read it. There's a lot of graphic sex, ultra violence and buckets of blood and gore. His other novel is called The Resurrectionist, think about someone having the ability to raise the dead, only to have that person be a sadistic psychopath and sexual fiend. Succulent Prey and The Resurrectionist read like exploitation films. If you're a fan of those then these books are for you. As for what I did that weekend, I made a pitch and well I can't say anymore until then. But be expecting some good news in the future. I'm going to bring back something we've all missed in the horror genre.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users