Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory: Boxing or UFC? - Horror movies discussion - Guts And Gory

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Boxing or UFC? Which do you prefer?

#1 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

I always was, and still a huge boxing fan, however there are not that many good boxers around these days (especially the heavyweight division). MMA is very multi dimensional, standing or on the ground you have to be well rounded and I think it would be much more draining on your body as a whole.

I used to love watching boxing until MMA came along, their brutal knockouts and submissions keeps me on the edge of my seat. Which do you think is more entertaining, exciting, and a better sport?... I would love to hear your opinions.
You Can't Kill The Boogeyman

#2 User is offline   speedy 

• Skav
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Veteran

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:36 AM

I know that most here will be picking UFC and MMA as it's the current trend but for me it's still boxing. Sure, the heavies don't provide entertainment anymore but if you look hard enough then you'll find some good gems below the heavyweight division. Just this past weekend we had two great fights between Ricky Burns and Michael Katsidis, and then followed James Kirkland v Alfredo Angulo which was a toe to toe thriller. It all depends how much of a fan you are and what you are willing to explore. I have given MMA and UFC a fair go and have watched several matches. It's still not my cup of tea. But you will find that many UFC and MMA fans will also watch boxing.

#3 User is offline   Matt 

• Hail to the king, baby
  • View blog
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

Boxing plays it's part in exciting MMA fights. I guess for me, it's simples really... why just have the salad when you can have the full bhuna! If you get an exciting MMA match, nothing really comes close to it as it incorporates a vast arsenal of skills, including boxing. I think all the title dodging etc in boxing and corruption takes away from the sport as well. MMA is still a pure sport where in the UFC, fighters work their way up to title contention and eventually fight the champion, as opposed to the dodging, title padding boxing champions you get with promoters more concerned about their records and status than WHO IS THE BEST at that weight?

The odd boxing match will interest me, and I enjoy training in boxing, but for me MMA wins hands down, and that is why it is taking over on worldwide basis. The growth of the sport is ridiculous...

#4 User is offline   speedy 

• Skav
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:44 PM

It's a hard truth to accept but Matt is right. There is too much political bullshit going on in boxing that is killing it. It should be bought under one government but that will never happen. There's too much greed involved now as there is in other sports. But beware! UFC and MMA fans may have it good right about now, but give it some years and along will come the political bullshit with it.

#5 User is offline   Lee 

• zombiecoops
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationBolton, Greater Manchester,

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

MMA for me, been a fan since I watched the first UFC on VHS!

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy boxing, used to be a huge fan back in the days of Eubank, Benn, Watson etc.. but ever since I watched Royce Gracie submitting everyone in his path, I've been hooked on MMA. Don't think you can beat it when you see a fight where a wrestling expert knocks someone out, or when a fighter who's good on his feet chockes someone out. So many different ways a fight can end in MMA.
"Hey Bub! Wanna learn how to shoot? You puss brain bag of shit!"

#6 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

View PostLee, on 12 November 2011 - 11:11 AM, said:

I do enjoy boxing, used to be a huge fan back in the days of Eubank, Benn, Watson.

I remember watching those fights in the pub with my mates, the good old days.

#7 User is offline   Admiral Ackbar 

• Leviathan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • LocationThe centre of the universe

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:08 AM

I am not a huge fan of either, but I do find MMA to be more appealing. Georges St. Pierre plays a part of that.

The biggest UFC event ever was held here at the Rogers Centre.
It's a trap!

#8 User is offline   speedy 

• Skav
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:01 AM

There was some UFC on channel 5 here in the UK and I thought I'd watch some of it. One bloke's head was being pounded on the canvas while he was being held down. Sorry, but it's a bit distasteful for me. There is no "art" in that at all despite what the UFC fan boys will say.

#9 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

There's a new version of UFC that they show here on local TV... It's called *xtreme-knockout* located in the Fort Worth / Arlington area.

http://www.xtremeknockout.com/

#10 User is offline   Matt 

• Hail to the king, baby
  • View blog
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

View Postspeedy, on 14 November 2011 - 09:01 AM, said:

There was some UFC on channel 5 here in the UK and I thought I'd watch some of it. One bloke's head was being pounded on the canvas while he was being held down. Sorry, but it's a bit distasteful for me. There is no "art" in that at all despite what the UFC fan boys will say.

Oh c'mon man. Ground game is a big part of MMA and ground n' pound is the way of finishing a fight. No different from a boxer being repeatedly punched on the head as these MMA fighters train to fight from their back and escape those kinds of positions. If they can't escape and receive too many strikes without intelligently defending themselves then the fight is stopped.

#11 User is offline   speedy 

• Skav
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:53 PM

View PostMatt, on 14 November 2011 - 04:31 PM, said:

Oh c'mon man. Ground game is a big part of MMA and ground n' pound is the way of finishing a fight. No different from a boxer being repeatedly punched on the head as these MMA fighters train to fight from their back and escape those kinds of positions. If they can't escape and receive too many strikes without intelligently defending themselves then the fight is stopped.

I'm probably a pussy then or the ref wasn't doing his job properly because I didn't enjoy watching this guy's head being trapped to the canvas and it being beat on until he was knocked unconscious. Only until after that happened was the fight stopped. I think there is a big difference between that type of situation and boxing. But if you are talking about a boxer being on the verge of getting knocked out and the ref stepping in then some refs do not do their job right and let the boxer take unnecessary punishment. Everyone's got different tastes and....yeah, well, it was a bit much for me, I have to admit.

#12 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:39 AM

As much as I like MMA, I do find it very boring to watch once they have gone to the ground and locked up... much prefer when they are both standing and going at it.

#13 User is offline   Matt 

• Hail to the king, baby
  • View blog
  • LocationScotland

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

Fair-do's, though any UFC I've seen, atleast recently, the referee has been very quick to stop fights, sometimes too quick IMO!

#14 User is offline   fybh17 

• Pit Pig
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

I found this pretty interesting. The UFC Discussion section on sherdog alone has nearly double the posts of every boxing forum I could find on the internet combined.

If we factor in the underground and other prominent boards, the UFC and MMA in general absolutely obliterates boxing in terms of fan discussion/involvement.

Thoughts?

#15 User is offline   speedy 

• Skav
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:10 AM

View Postfybh17, on 30 November 2011 - 11:12 AM, said:

I found this pretty interesting. The UFC Discussion section on sherdog alone has nearly double the posts of every boxing forum I could find on the internet combined.

If we factor in the underground and other prominent boards, the UFC and MMA in general absolutely obliterates boxing in terms of fan discussion/involvement.

Thoughts?

I'm not surprised, really. There are a lack of major fights happening in boxing and the one big fight that every boxing fan wants (Mayweather vs Pacquiao) isn't happening, and I don't think it will. But boxing will always have the ability to pull in millions of viewers and gather major interest when they have a big fight going on. There are some entertaining fights for fans but you have to be dedicated as a fan. The problem is, some are just not bothering with it anymore.

#16 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:52 AM

I couldn't even tell you who is the current heavy weight champion in the world of boxing :blush:

#17 User is offline   speedy 

• Skav
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:19 AM

View PostCraig, on 04 December 2011 - 03:52 AM, said:

I couldn't even tell you who is the current heavy weight champion in the world of boxing :blush:

They're all Ukrainians.

#18 User is offline   Craig 

• Alba Gu Bràth
  • View blog

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:30 AM

View Postspeedy, on 05 December 2011 - 03:19 AM, said:

They're all Ukrainians.

Ah ok, No wonder I had know idea lol.

#19 User is offline   Matt 

• Hail to the king, baby
  • View blog
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:55 PM

View Postfybh17, on 30 November 2011 - 11:12 AM, said:

Thoughts?

^^^This
My prediction... next 5 years... MMA will be even BIGGER. And boxing will be at a similar, if not lower, level. But things move in cycles, maybe boxing will make a comeback, I don't know. However, for me, personally, right now, in terms of sheer entertainment, boxing doesn't compare to MMA. I like good boxing, but I also like submissions, and knees and kicks, clinch game, the whole lot! Just my own view.

#20 User is offline   vinni 

• Ice Hockey Legend
  • Pip
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:17 AM

I am and always will be a boxing fan first. I've grown to enjoy MMA as well, the UFC definitely puts on entertaining cards more consistently than you see in boxing, where you might go 6 months between worthwhile fights at times. But there's nothing quite like the atmosphere of a boxing super fight. Not to mention the money they pull in. If Pacquiao and Mayweather ever stop the bullshit and fight they will probably each make more than every UFC fighter combined will make in a year. lol

On the topic, did anyone catch the Cotto/Margarito rematch last weekend? Was I ever happy to see my boy Cotto hand that punk a beating. It was a masterful performance by Cotto, his last few fights he looked like he might have been fading but that may have been as good as he's ever looked.

Now he just needs to avenge his loss to Pacquiao, none of that catchweight bullshit this time though.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users