Welcome to Guts and Gory

New Dante Article & Interview... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Guts and Gory » Dante Tomaselli » New Dante Article & Interview... « Previous Next »

Thread Original Poster Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

obsessed
Hell's Jailor
Username: obsessed

Post Number: 4470

Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.moctalk.ca/2010/01/dante-tomaselli-one-tripped-out-director/

Dante Tomaselli, one tripped out director.
Posted by Cannibal Cam in Cannibal Cam's World, Everything Under The Sun on 01 15th, 2010

I feel like having an epiphany in a calm and beautiful forest, drop some window pane, and head on down the river of lucious colours and gorgeous times. The more I sit back and enjoy my body buzzing and gearing up for a trip of a lifetime, I hear voices in the distance. “Nahhhhhhh, can’t be, I’m gonna have a sweet trip”. The voices are getting closer. The trees are getting darker and swaying all the way to the ground. “I’m OK, the acid is kicking in and I just have to let it take me away”. The grass is wet for some reason, it hasn’t rained for days. “It’s all good. Take a deep breath”. Something is weird. It is not flowing for some reason. Was that a shadow? I look at my hands to see if the trip is really happening and sure there are trails beyond belief but why are my hands dripping red? What is going on? I need to stop this? SOMEONE IS COMING AFTER ME? BREATHING DOWN MY NECK AND SLOWLY SEEPING INTO MY EARS. I CAN’T STOP THIS MADNESS? I HAVE TO RUUUUUUNNNNNN.

As I write these articles, it seems as though drugs seem to be a reaccuring topic. Not that I partake in massive amounts, I just like what the drugs represent in a high state. The trip, the colours, the dreams. So naturally I look for these qualities in movies, especially fear films. The darkness, the music, the scenery, the monsters. Always thought about in one way or another, just when put to the screen, it translates a different perpective. So who out there likes to dabble in offbeat imagery? The one that comes to mind nowadays would be this man, Dante Tomaselli. I received a copy of this indie produced film entitled HORROR, aptly titled. So off I went. The one downfall I found with this film is the way drugs are represented, sure you trip out but we are not that gullable as he portrays them as, but that is not what I want you to think of this film as. I want you to close your eyes and put yourself into a state of negativity.

What would your dark dreams be about???????????????

Who would be after you?????????????

Where would the scary places be????????????

That film is surreal and very brutal. So in reality, many years later and myself being somewhat of a filmmaker, he was still on my mind (ohhhhhh Dante) and I had to get a few questions out of my chest (insert chest bursting sound here).

CC-So what is this continuous exploration into trippy topics and scenery. i haven’t seen all your movies but HORROR was pretty out-there. Do you not like drugs and want the people to feel a savage point or you like drugs and just love trippy shit?

DT-Well, I didn’t smoke my first joint until I was about 24. I went to college in Brooklyn and New York City in the late 80’s and early 90’s. Everybody was smoking and doing all sorts of drugs all around me. You couldn’t escape it. I just said no, every time. My mind was already hallucinating. Plus I have synesthesia. Sound-color. I didn’t need anything else. Something like a bug buzzing in my ear could cause my nervous system to go haywire. Sounds of rain…fiber optic dots…My movies are more about my childhood nightmares. Growing up I was afraid of taking drugs, so I stayed away. I was also afraid of going to Hell…I probably needed something…a pill…a joint…because I was so repressed. My films are really about peeling back layers of pain and guilt buried deep in the unconscious mind.

CC-So what is up with you right now, you’re in production on a new movie?

DT-Pre-production…on TORTURE CHAMBER, my fourth feature. A horror shocker about a demonically possessed 13-year-old boy who escapes from an asylum and discovers an old abandoned castle with a secret passageway to a cobwebbed torture chamber.

CC-I haven’t seen anything about THE OCEAN. what’s up with that one?

DT- I didn’t abandon it…TORTURE CHAMBER is a lower budgeted film and should pave the way for more expensive projects like THE OCEAN.

CC-You compose your own material? What gives you inspiration for your films? Composers? Bands? Chat it up about music.

DT-Yes, I’ve been composing…or sound designing…the bulk of soundscapes in my films. I need elemental sounds like earthquakes, avalanches, volcanoes, landslides…They create…a kind of emotional violence. They conjure visions. I paint with sounds. Also…animals like screaming pigs, snarling dogs in reverse…I’ll mix and match whatever works…I need a huge palette of sounds, tones, compositions.

These days I like to collaborate with other composers too. I want to present the best soundtrack experience possible. It should be 3-D-like. I think the soundtrack is 50% of the film’s equation. I always put a big emphasis on it. I’m definitely influenced by early John Carpenter…Halloween and The Fog. That low-toned Moog synthesizer sound. I also admire Coil. I think if I ever made music full-time it would sound a bit like Coil. I could only hope. I love Ric Ocasek…His mixture of guitars and synths. His imaginative lyrics. I love synth pioneers like Wendy Carlos…She scored The Shining…Vince Clark…Alan Wilder…Laurie Anderson…Kim Cascone…

CC-What have you shot your films with? Camera?

DT-All of my films have been shot on Super 16 mm film with Arriflex cameras. I need to pack each frame with a lot of detail. I crave a painterly, textural image. I love working with the cinematographer and production designer, composing the vision. There are lots of tricks with shadows, diffusion, widescreen lenses, mist, refracted lighting…I want the viewer to taste color and touch sound.

See what i mean? Now go and have a safe and scary trip my friends. I’ll see you there.

http://horrorthemovie.com
http://www.myspace.com/sistermadeline
You Will Burn in Hell...
http://www.myspace.com/torturechamberthemovie
Torture Chamber

jack_frost
Long Live the Pit!
Username: jack_frost

Post Number: 5546

Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The one downfall I found with this film is the way drugs are represented

lol

My films are really about peeling back layers of pain and guilt buried deep in the unconscious mind.

Well said.

DT- I didn’t abandon it…TORTURE CHAMBER is a lower budgeted film and should pave the way for more expensive projects like THE OCEAN.

Hmm, Dante, I like how you think. really.
I am sorry, but I am not perfect. xD

spencer
Long Live the Pit!
Username: spencer

Post Number: 152139

Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 04:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well said..

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

PITOFHORROR.com